What Not To Miss!
During our first Round the World Trip we spent 8 months out of the entire 16 exploring Southeast Asia and loved every minute of it!
Southeast Asia is not just the established routes through Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam that are commonly pursued. Yes, we wanted to tread the backpacker trail and experience these places, but we also wanted to explore further, find those remote islands, see some street culture, shop & eat with the locals, discover lesser-known trails, set off on mountain treks and ultimately forge our own route.
From the beautiful Cameron Highlands in Malaysia that we found to be so quintessentially English, to the far flung islands of the Philippines that were so friendly and pristine, Southeast Asia presented us with a whole host of amazing experiences that have without a doubt enriched our lives. So here, in no particular order, we share with you 25 of those most memorable experiences…
1. Witnessing an Active Volcano: Sunrise on Mount Bromo, Indonesia
2. Visiting the Biggest Buddhist Stupa in the World: Borobudur, Java, Indonesia
3. Taking the Slow Boat Down the Mekong River to Laos
4. Exploring the Temples of Angkor, Cambodia
5. Heading into the Jungle: Trekking in Northern Thailand
6. Braving the Dragon’s Den on Rinca Island, Komodo National Park, Indonesia
7. Joining the Party at the Baragatan Festival, Puerta Princesa, the Philippines
8. Paddling into Secret Lagoons: Phang Nga Bay, Thailand
9. Watching Sunrise over the 3 Coloured Lakes – Kelimutu National Park, Indonesia
10. Karst & Crew: Staying Overnight on a Junk in Halong Bay, Vietnam
11. Learning to Cook Thai Style in Chiang Mai, Thailand
12. Watching Monks Collecting Alms, Luang Prabang, Laos
13. Asian Delights Under the Moonlight in Hoi An, Vietnam
14. Taking A walking Tour Around Historic Georgetown: Penang, Malaysia
15. Monkey Mayhem: Visiting Lop Buri, Thailand
16. Full Moon Partying into the Early Hours on Koh Phangan, Thailand
17. Sitting on a Plastic Chair & People Watching : The Hustle & Bustle of Hanoi
18. Budget Beach Chic: Island Hopping in Southern Thailand
19. Viewing Kuala Lumpur from the Top of the Petronas Towers, Malaysia
20. Snorkelling Sun-kissed Reefs in the Pristine Waters of the Philippines
21. Fun Times! River Tubing in Vang Vieng, Laos
22. Shooting an AK47: Visiting the Cu Chi Tunnels, Vietnam
23. Harvesting Tea in the Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
24. Watching a Traditional Balinese Performance, Indonesia
25. Taking a Cycling Tour Around the Ancient City of Ayutthaya, Thailand
Have you found new inspiration in any of our choices? Which of these memorable experiences will you now add to your bucket list?
Have you visited Southeast Asia already and experienced any of the above? Do you agree with our choices? What have we missed and should plan to do in the future? We are planning on returning to Southeast Asia for our tenth wedding anniversary and welcome any suggestions!