Add These To Your Route!
Having spent 3 whole months travelling through China and experiencing the most beautiful countryside, busiest cities, cheapest bus fares, tastiest dumplings and largest tour groups – we thought we’d share with you our 25 most memorable experiences.
By no means have we exhausted all that China has to offer. In 3 months, we merely scratched the surface… So we are planning a return trip during the fall of 2014, with a new itinerary and an even longer list of what we want to do and see!
In no particular order, these are some unforgettable highlights from our first trip.
1. Taking a Raft Down the Li River
2. Climbing the Great Wall at Badaling
3. Meeting Pandas at the Breeding & Research Centre, Chengdu
4. Getting Lost in the Forbidden City, Beijing
5. Venice of the East: Strolling around Suzhou’s Waterways & Classical Gardens
6. Cycling in the Chinese Countryside, Yangshuo
7. Sampling Tea in a Traditional Tea-house, Chengdu
8. Discovering Xi’an’s Terracotta Warriors
9. Sunday Morning Stroll: Watching Ballroom Dancing & Tai Chi in a Local Park
10. Visiting the Tian Tan Buddha, Lantau Island, Hong Kong
11. Making Traditional Chinese Dumplings, Chengdu
12. In Awe & Wonder: The Longmen Grottoes, Henan
13. Taking a Tram up to Victoria Peak, Hong Kong
14. Stairway to Heaven: Climbing the Holy Mountain, Hua Shan
15. People Watching on the Shanghai Bund
16. Trekking in Siguniangshan National Park, Rilong
17. Feeling Small Below the Giant Buddha, Leshan
18. Trekking through the Dragon’s Back Bone Rice Terraces, Longji
19. Exploring the Summer Palace & Temple of Heaven, Beijing
20. Riding on a Motorcycle with a Local, Baguio Village
21. Enjoying the Views: Hot Air Balloon Over Hong Kong
22. Visiting the Bird’s Nest, Olympic Village, Beijing
23. Joining the Pilgrims’ Trail at Emei Shan
24. Experiencing the Light & Sound Show, Victoria Harbour, Hong Kong
25. Going All Authentic: Tasting Peking Duck & Wearing Traditional Dress, Beijing
What do you think of our top 25?
We are determined to re-visit some of the places on our list as we would like to see the differences a change in season would bring. We would also like to take new photographs now that we have a better camera, and are more knowledgeable in terms of composition and technique.
New places we would like to visit include trekking through the Tiger Leaping Gorge in Yunnan, cruising the Three Gorges on the Yangtze River, visiting the Ice Festival in Harbin… and the list goes on. We would also like to take a trip into Tibet and visit the Jokhang Monastery in Lhasa and explore the foothills of the Himalayas.
Can you recommend anything else that is a must-do/ must-see experience in China? We welcome your suggestions for our future trip.